Dosimetry is the science of measuring exposure of ionizing radiation to the human body, whereas a dosimeter is a device that is used to do the measuring.
While working in any ambience where there is an exposure of radiation, a dosimeter is a must-have item. A dosimeter can measure the radiation level of alpha, beta, gamma, or X-ray, allowing you to take proper precautions to maintain your safety.
In case you are looking for a dosimeter to buy for your health safety or professional use, here are the top seven items to choose from.
Among all of the items, GQ GMC-500Plus Nuclear Radiation Detector Monitor Dosimeter will remain as our top pick for today.
Before we start discussing the features of the meters, we would love to mention that there are all kinds of dosimeters recommended down below that are suitable for both personal and professional use. Without making any further delays, let's get started with our presentation for you.
Read More : Dissolved Oxygen Meters Reviews
Best Radiation Dosimeter
1. GQ GMC-500Plus Nuclear Radiation Detector Monitor Dosimeter
Our first recommendation for a dosimeter is a Nuclear Radiation detector that means it is suitable for use in an environment where there is exposure of nuclear radiation. This one is a mid-range nuclear radiation detector from GQ. This one will log the data through WI-FI or internal memory. If you are looking for an item that will provide real-time evaluation, then this one can be a worthy choice to choose from. This one will allow you to do any kinds of scientific testing, including building material, hospital radiation therapy monitoring for cancer, food, water, indoor/outdoor-ray, and more. This one is premodified, and thus you will require no further modification before using it.
- Brand: GQ.
- Suitable for measuring any ionizing radiation.
- Log the data through Wi-Fi from anywhere in the world.
- Internal memory.
- Building material, hospital radiation therapy monitoring for cancer, food, water, indoor/outdoor-ray, and more.
- Premodified; no additional modification required before using.
2. GCA-07W Professional Digital Geiger Counter - Radiation Monitor
If you are looking for an item that can be used in all kinds of professional activity, then this one from Imagesco should be an excellent choice. This one can be used detecting nuclear radiation in the school physics lab, industrial settings, transport containers, topsoil, granite table tops, scrap metal, oil fields, objects and interior spaces. It will be able to measure Alpha, Beta, X-ray and Gamma radiation above 3 MeV, 50 KeV, and 7 KeV respectively. The easy-to-read display will provide easiness of manoeuvring the machine. You will always get accurate measurements with a NIST traceable source. The CPS and CPM measurement facility will allow the device to count the radiation in per second and minute variations. Finally, there is no assembling required before you start using the item.
- Brand: Imagesco.
- Suitable for professional use.
- Can be used for detecting nuclear radiation in the school physics lab, industrial settings, transport containers, topsoil, granite table tops, scrap metal, oil fields, objects and interior spaces.
- Can measure alpha(above 3 MeV), beta (50KeV), X-ray ( 7KeV).
- Easy to read display.
- CPS and CPM measurement.
- No assembling is required before using.
3. Mazur Instruments Radiation Detector
In the third place, we have brought an item from Mazur Instruments. This one is the most expensive item among all. This device will be able to measure all kinds of radiations, including alpha, beta, gamma, and X-ray, providing you with the approximate accuracy that you are looking for. The internal data logging feature allows you to research the data whenever you want. For measuring all kinds of radiation in all kinds of fields, including regulatory inspections, detection, measurement and monitoring of broad-spectrum, low energy radionuclides, including Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (NORM), this one can be of great help. You will be able to upload all the measurements as a CSV format in your pc for future modification. Finally, this one will notify you when the radiation level of any area gets harmful for your health. As a result, safety and accuracy both will be ensured to a great extent through this device.
- Brand: Mazur Instruments.
- Measures alpha, beta, gamma, and X-rays.
- Internal data logging.
- Suitable for regulatory inspections, detection, measurement and monitoring of broad-spectrum, low energy radionuclides, including Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (NORM).
- Saves data to upload as a CSV file in your pc.
- Notifies when the radiation level is excess.
4. RADEX RD1503+ w/o dosimeter
This pocket dosimeter from RADEX by Quarta-Rad is our fourth recommendation for you. This one is both a personal and professional device that can provide you with an accurate measurement of radiation. This one will have two types of alarms, including sound and vibration, to allow you whether you are at the threshold of excessive radiation or not. This one can detect radiation from 0.05 uSv/h to as much as 9.99 uSv/h accurately. This device is perfectly suited for personal use, and you will be able to detect ionizing radiation in indoor, outdoor, and objects. A great reason to try this item is that this one will keep track of the radiation doses even if the device is turned off. It will also be able to show you the information between the average and background doses of radiation. If you are looking for a battery powered-radiation detector that will suit inside of your pocket, this one might the item you are looking for.
- Brand: RADEX by Quarta-Rad.
- Suitable for personal use.
- Sund and vibration alarm (adjustable)
- Can detect radiation from 0.05 uSv/h to as much as 9.99 uSv/h.
- Can be used indoor/outdoor/ and in objects.
- It can keep track of the radiation even when the device if off.
- Information about average and background radiation.
- Suits in your pocket/ small in size.
5. RADEX ONE Personal RAD Safety
If you are looking for a personal dosimeter that will look after your safety, then this one from RADEX by Quarta-Rad is our fifth recommendation for you. One of the most important reason to try this item is that this one will not only provide you with the instant radiation measurement but also the accumulative dose of radiation that you have received so far. With this item's purchase, you will get Battery, USB cord, Manual, Belt clip. If you want to analyze the radiation level in future, the pc software that comes with this device will allow you to do so. This one will be able to measure the radiation from0.05 to 999.0 uSv/hr. For personal usage and safety, there are hardly any devices to match its quality.
- Brand: RADEX by Quarta-Rad
- Instant radiation measurement.
- Accumulated measurement of radiation exposure.
- Includes Battery, USB cord, Manual, and Belt clip
- Pc software for future analyzing.
- Measure radiation from 0.05 to 999.0 uSv/hr.
- Suitable for personal use.
6. SOEKS EcoVisor F4 Geiger Counter Radiation Detector Dosimeter
EcoVisor F4 Geiger Counter Radiation Detector Dosimeter from SOEKS is our sixth recommendation for a radiation detector. This dosimeter should be a perfect inclusion if you are looking for safety from exposing yourself to radiation. This one will be able to detect all kinds of harmful ionizing radiations in food, air, water, objects, and the environment. With this item's purchase, you will get two rechargeable AAA batteries, USB charger, USB cable, user manual, and stamped certificate with serial number. The easy to use features of this item will allow even a child to use the device appropriately. The ultra-accurate measurement will ensure that you are getting the right information. Eventually, it can turn into life-saving equipment when it is about the safety of yours and your family.
- Brand: SOEKS.
- Detects all kinds of harmful ionizing radiation in food, air, water, objects, environment.
- Includes two rechargeable AAA batteries, USB charger, USB cable, user manual, and stamped certificate.
- Easy to use features.
- Ultra-accurate measurement.
- Life-saving equipment.
7. REED Instruments R8050 Sound Level Meter
In the final position, we have not brought an item for measuring radiation but an item to measure sound frequency. This one is from REED Instruments. This one is an accurate and fast range sound level meter that can notify you whether you are in a hazardous environment or not. The easy to read backlight display will ensure that you are getting the perfect measurement. The data hold and max hold functions will allow you to speculate all the data later. The A & C weighting makes the device even more convincing. This one is also compatible with R8090 sound calibrator making it more convenient. This one can measure the sound level from 30 dB to 130 dB and 31.5 Hz to 8 kHz.
- Brand: REED Instruments.
- Accurate and fast range level sound meter.
- Easy to read backlight display.
- Data hold and Max hold functions.
- A & C weighting.
- Compatible with R8090 sound calibrator.
- Can measure from 30 dB to 130 dB and 31.5 Hz to 8 kHz.
Short Buying Guides
Here are some of the things that you need to look at while buying a new dosimeter.
The first thing that you need to look at is the reason why you are thinking about buying the item. In case you are thinking about purchasing the item for personal use, choosing a mid-range item that can provide instant and accumulate radiation exposure measurement should be ideal. On the other hand, if you require an item for industrial or research purposes, choosing a high-end item should be perfect.
Another thing to look at is the frequency measurement of the device. Make sure that the device you are aiming to buy has a feature that can measure the radiation from a lower point to a higher point.
The third thing that you need to look at is whether the device can provide the accumulated measurement of the radiation or not. Most of the devices that are available in the market can only provide the instant measurement of the radiation instead of the cumulative amount exposed to radiation. Choose a device that can measure the instant, and cumulative radiation exposure should be ideal at any given moment.
what is a dosimeter
As we have mentioned above, a Dosimeter is a device that measures the ionizing radiation exposure of a particular item or environment.
If you are working in an industry where you need to measure the radiation level, or for personal security, a dosimeter can provide great help. From personal safety to food, building, or pristine archetype, checking the radiation level is a must.
Depending on the types and necessity, you need to pick up the right dosimeter.
Types of dosimeter
In general, there are three different kinds of dosimeters that you will find in the market both for personal and professional use.
The first kind of dosimeter that you will notice in the market is the film badge. These are the most common and inexpensive dosimeters that you will find in the market. These kinds of devices will not provide you with the instant measurement of radiation; instead, you will get a cumulative amount of radiation that you have exposed in total.
The second kind of dosimeter is the Thermoluminescent dosimeters. This kind of meter is the most modern types of dosimeters that are available. In this kind of devices, there will have a non-metallic crystalline solid that can trap electrons while exposing to an environment.
The third kind of dosimeter that you will notice is the Ion-chamber dosimeter. This kind of devices can provide an instant measurement of radiation, and they are reusable.
Pros of Dosimeter
The benefits of having a dosimeter are many. Here are some of the benefits of having a dosimeter.
- Checking the product of an industry can be more comfortable with a dosimeter.
- Checking the radiation level of an archetype will be more comfortable with a dosimeter.
- Checking the quality of food and vegetables require a dosimeter.
- Checking the radiation level of an old building requires a dosimeter.
- Maintaining health safety in a radiation-exposed environment requires a dosimeter.
- If you work in a nuclear plant, you can't think about a day without using a dosimeter.
From personal usage to industrial usage, a dosimeter can be of great help. A dosimeter can ensure health safety and provide signals when you are exposing yourself in a harmful environment. In that regards, choosing the best item always becomes mandatory. All the items that we have discussed above should ensure quality to a great extent to make you happy.
Last Updated on June 16, 2022 by Tufail